Complimentary Web Seminar
August 11, 2015 2 pm ET/11 am PT
Brought to you by Accounting Today
Sponsored by Wolters Kluwer
Featured Speaker: Martin M. Shenkman, CPA, MBA, PFS, AEP (Distinguished), JD, Shenkman Law
The step up basis has been touted as the new magic elixir of estate and income tax planning, but this type of planning provides so much more opportunity than many discussions indicate. Determining whether to use a bypass trust or rely on portability is only one of many planning options, and often that discussion is too simplistic to really provide clients maximum benefit.
DISCUSSION TOPICS INCLUDE:
- How to practically address bypass trust planning — it is not an either or choice. In many cases, it is really an investment, not a tax, driven planning tool.
- Life insurance may no longer be needed for an estate tax, but it provides an array of income and estate tax planning opportunities.
- Powers of appointments can be used to gain basis step up while your clients are alive. What are the risks your clients might face and what are some of the safeguards you can recommend?
- How creative uses of powers of appointment can augment real estate clients’ depreciation deductions.
- Why you should have every LLC and FLP agreement reviewed.
- How to minimize discounts while maintaining asset protection, with 754 elections and considerations.
- What to consider if Crummey trusts might be adapted to basis planning.
Who should attend? Professional firms of all sizes, consultants, financial planners — anyone interested in financial and estate planning or investment planning.